Wednesday 1 April 2020

the funniest daffodil

Last autumn, I bought one of those big special offer bulb boxes at the end of season. In it was an unpromising brown bag marked Narcissus Bulbocodium (100 bulbs) containing squidgy daff bulbs, from their size, something quite miniature. I put them everywhere, over several days. Because of the  sheer numbers I ended up making some of my Veg pots into bulb lasagnes.

Roll forward to spring:

hoop petticoat daffs

These are Hoop Petticoat Daffodils, and honestly I've never met a plant more cheerful. The colour is perfect daffodil yellow, but the form far enough from a daffodil that it doesn't look like a daff trying to be something else; it looks like a Daffodil relative doing its own thing.

Hoop Petticoat Daffs Hoop Petticoat Daffs

They did fine in the soil and they did well in pots. They had no objection to being dotted around or crammed in. They last well in a vase. I do keep laughing at them, but that's OK. Spring flowers should be cheerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment