Tuesday 28 April 2020

gardens visible from queues

When  I get bored of my own back garden, I can (as long as I'm shopping for necessities) go and spot out gardens from socially distanced queues. Here's one I found queuing for the Farmer's Market:

Tesco ad hoc roof garden Tesco ad hoc roof garden
That little flash of green up there on the roof of Tesco's backside delivery port represents a tree seed of some kind (maybe Bog Myrtle?) that has found enough of a slurry of dirt and road dust in that loading canopy to put down a fat root or two. As you can see, whatever's going on up top hasn't impacted on the electrics yet. I suspect there may be more greenery in that elevated planter, but there's nowhere public you could look down into that.

Here's a Tesco's of a different colour:

Car park garden

Recruiting Now  Danger Keep out

The Megatescos up by the ring road has significant planting; low shrubs, car-park trees and wild edges, where there are narrow dirty creeks and semi-wildflowers, like these spanglish bluebells. The slight hollow in the woodchips is almost reminiscent of a nest, though what bird would drop itself here? The long queue snakes up the edge of the car-park, past recruitment and warning signs, guided by crash barriers.

from the bread queue  from the bread queue
from the bread queue

Looking the other way from the bread queue, smart modern gated student accommodation boasts a little spiky defensive planting,some organic-looking decorations and a basic green roof on the bike shed, covered with sparse sedum red with stress. This was as good a view as I could get, tethered to my place in the queue, arms outstretched above me, try to see a roof too high and out of view. Narrow view points, bare glimpses of green. 

No comments:

Post a Comment