Wednesday 9 October 2019

vegetable passion, stitchless fashion

I've been looking at fashion shows again. It's an old habit born of shivering in west country boarding houses dreaming of glamour unattainable in the brief two hour windows that I could score in the local small towns. Of course back then I had to squint at tiny photos in magazines in newsagents and bus stations. Now it's all there, at the touch of a button, to scroll endlessly or have delivered in tidy insta-packages. Then, as now, I was always delighted to find someone throwing plants into the mix.

Welcome to the hallucinatory forest garden world of Noir Kei Ninomiya:



As you can see, he has a light side and a dark side. Not to mention a savagely weird side. The faces obliterated by vegetation, the mysterious cut fabrics, all hint at a future where humans and plants lie much more intimately together.




This is human as vase, human as flower bed, human as potting medium. What grows on you enhances you. The plant is with you and in you and on you.



I'm sad to be missing Halloween this year. I can't think of a lovelier thing to dress up as. I normally pop on an owl mask for the trick or treaters. How much lovelier to pop on a lichen mask, or wear tiers of mist and clouds:




I love the way the models appear more than human, too; as in this video where they dress in rain and scatter their seeds wide across a warehouse full of fashionistas, like fabulous, feisty willowherbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment