Sunday 27 October 2019

Roll out the green carpet

You catch a glimpse of something wonderful on Twitter, in this case someone giving Regent's Street (is it? I'm far from fluent in London skylines) a pedestrian makeover, and my first thought is who made that?
In the thread, @fietsprofessor drops in an attribution (good man) to @London NPC and I discover it's actually Fleet Street (my bad) and spend a few clicks on their website finding treasures like the Greenground map and a guide to making your own pallet bench and sweet snippets like there being nearly as many trees as people in London, and it being home to 15,000 species. But the videos on view are all in the standard high quality community engagement genre beloved of small-scale film companies across the country - perfect for loosening funding bids or being shown in assembly, but not what I'm after.

To the London National Park City* Media tweets then, to see if I can find it again. Yes, and they credit @watgdesigns who do get up to some lovely stuff (I've linked you to their media page again), but you might also want to check their very sci-fi Urban projects page.

Sadly, no sign of a little gallery of animations like this one, greening the grey of London's streets. Which is a shame, because I suspect the original digital artist who made it did not limit themselves to just one.

Back in the copy art days, my friend Al did a series of these kinds of items (static of course, and on postcards, the status updates of their day) which stripped cars and tarmac from the roads of Oxford, substituting greenery and exotic wildlife, parrots on Cowley Road and penguins in Cornmarket.

That view of the city that is not as it is, but as you would have it be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment