Wednesday 16 October 2019

catching up on some small green stories from the summer

With the heating on, and my feet firmly in slippers, having determined that the day is too wet for the allotment, it's time to catch up on a few bits and bobs I never quite got to this summer.

1. Birds and the Built Environment

Driving to London

I have some aerials, in fact quite a few, on the chimney of my house. One is tilting somewhat, so I had been considering getting them taken off. They do nothing any more, after all. Everything comes in via the cable or mobile. But I also regularly spot birds using them as perch. If I get rid of them, am I inconveniencing my local Jackdaws, Crows, Goldfinches, Starlings and Magpies? Is there such a thing as a decorative aerial for birds? (Google sent me straight to pigeon spikes, so maybe not!)

2. London Grown Over City

Driving to London Driving to London
Driving to London Driving to London

3. The Kia Oval Green Wall

Driving to London

Not every day you see this sort of thing looming up above a street. I'm delighted to find that there's some technical specs for this (not to mention lovely hi-res images) online - find out more about Barnshaws and their unrivalled in-house cold bending capacity.

4. 2019, the year fruit withered on the tree

Desiccated fruit Desiccated fruit
It's been a very difficult year. All my grapes failed, through a combination of receiving too little water, then too much. It's a much less pretty sight than these pretty prunes and raisins at a friend's house.

5. Ivy bees have invaded my allotment

Allotment wildlife

Ivy bees have a tiny sting that feels a little like a nettle with only one spine. I found this out pulling up the gone-over radishes. I noted that there were a bunch of odd-looking holes in the bed, but carried on anyway, and eventually a bee took objection.

Or, alternatively - it's actually Digger wasps, and one of the nests had been provisioned with a half-dead Ivy Bee. Either way, I have a lot of these holes in most of my flower beds.

Both promise interesting displays if I leave them till spring, but I'm worried that it'll look like I've abandoned the allotment entirely...

No comments:

Post a Comment