Wednesday 23 October 2019

I grew it on the allotment

Grown this year (I'd hesitate to say successfully....)

  • French bean
  • Sweetcorn
  • Radish
  • Yellow onion
  • Red onion
  • Beetroot
  • Broad beans
  • Potatoes
  • Sage
  • Carrot
  • Shallot
  • Horseradish
  • Red Orach
  • Strawberries

I made it up there in a tiny stretch of civic twilight this week, just long enough to plant broad beans between the bee (or wasp) holes. I cleared a few weeds from the bed, but also left some - the chickweed is still in flower, late nectar for October insects.

The list above looks impressive, but for some things I only got one item; the singular bean and sweetcorn in the picture, for example. Others did quite well --  more radishes than one person could eat, onions aplenty, sweet and delicious.

The most consistent and reliable crop, however, remains the couch grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment