Tuesday 30 July 2019

Doughnuts at the Park & Ride

We drifted off course on the way back from visiting a friend, lured in by what looked like an interesting building from the road, but which became progressively less interesting until I was looking at this:

cambridge park and ride

I liked how the crooked, greyed picnic table complimented the crooked greying central shelter at a Park and Ride on the way into Cambridge. But do you see that faint haze of lavender and roses in the planting just in front of it? That merits a closer look.

cambridge park and ride

Mounds and clouds of roses and lavender are heaped around the building and curd the entrance walkway. See how the planting has invaded the brick walk at the edges, and taller shrubs pick up the low/high planting in the car park beyond! The soft purples and and pinks pick up the muted tones of tarmac and municipal bricking, and compliment the bright orange flashes of the cones.

cambridge park and ride

Wait, cones? Why are there cones marking off one of the spines of the carpark, between the practical groundmist of municipal lonerica?

cambridge park and ride

It is about at this point in time that a security guard comes to ask me what I am doing. "I photograph interesting buildings," I say. "I'll show you something interesting," says he.

cambridge park and ride cambridge park and ride

It's probably a bit hard to see in that right hand picture, but the entire tarmacked area at the bottom of the car park is top-surface stripped. Apparently many people had turned up the previous night, and had spent their time doing doughnuts. You can see some of the tire marks. From the looks of it, the cars were spun round two central lamp posts, which look miraculously undinged, but I wasn't going to take my shoes across that (there was a lots of glass and random car debris) to check. Also, the security guard had got me to the stage where I was casually mentioning my husband waiting in the car.... so, there we go, Cambridge park & ride. Home of lavender and doughnuts.

cambridge park and ride

No comments:

Post a Comment