Sunday 12 May 2019

ill advised purchases of 2019 part 1

I made a semi-resolution this year not to buy any plants. I've got a lot already, after all, and I can do a lot with seeds, cuttings and the plants that just sort of turn up from friends and family.

Then I saw this our local B&Q.  It's a miniature Azalea (a terrible start -- I've never kept one of these alive for more than a few years), it's been nursery stimulated into desperate overflowering (and yes, remove the flowers blah blah but I am NOT going to do that), it was primped and pricey and all in all, an unWISE* purchase.


This beast is Azalea Knaphill Golden Eagle and it looks like it's a freely available prestige plant this year. So, strike while the iron's hot and the saucy trumpet is there right in front of you, waving its stamens at you. After all, I've wanted one since I saw this beauty in St James Park in London (which isn't Eagle, I don't think - the flowers are slightly paler and more delicate than mine - it could be Arnson Gem maybe), I mean just look at that, August in May.

orange rhododendron

Fun fact! If bees make honey from rhododendron flowers, the honey is toxic. Not fun toxic, either - no matter what the online searches for mad honey suggest. Just sludge toxic.

* Before you buy a plant, consider: Will it like my garden, Is there a place for it to go, Suitability over time and Enjoyability vs. Faff.

No comments:

Post a Comment