Wednesday 8 May 2019

allotment, inspiration and progress

It does look a lot more like it's at least trying to be an allotment now:

allotment: three beds

Every one of those paving stones came up from under a pile of grass. Whoever had this allotment last liked paving stones. There's some notes on the click-through, if you're curious, but not much has changed since last time.

Except I got sick of being ill all the time and went to the Doctor who sent me to the hospital, not urgently (three week wait) and I got scans and I'm OK considering what might have been and now setting baselines and sorting out iron loading and considering options and feeling a lot better, and  while I was decompressing outside the hospital I drifted over to check out the allotments there:

Eden Drive Allotments

A cardboard sign was advertising half-plots available immediately, if you're interested, but I always wonder if those come with another half-plot owner who is after using you for pick-up labour.

Eden Drive Allotments

Look at that curious one-two-three of Globe Artichokes. They're on my wish-list, but I'll need the soil to be well cultivated first. That uncertain row of raspberries is probably prunings from another allotment rooting. I'm doing the same with canes from the yellow raspberry in my garden and they're doing pretty, well, unevenly. Looks at those espaliers, though - and that fleece tunnel. This is fancy.

Eden Drive Allotments

Those are peonies, though why they're there is anyone's guess. Bulking up to a decent size before going into the garden maybe? Or maybe they've been banished by peony hater. Peonies can be divisive. Not sure about that plastic trolley thing. A sort of giant compost scoop, I think.

Eden Drive Allotments

Those green waste sacks. They haven't been accepted by the rubbish collectors for years and they're still incredibly useful. I have three. But that allotment at the back, what's going on there? It's mostly grass, and it has a park bench. I hope those beds are going to go full municipal, but they're probably destined for beans.

Eden Drive Allotments

Oh! A cheap plastic chair. I want one of those for my allotment. Currently I'm perching on the recycling box I'm using for storing my tools. Trying to avoid the huge pile of green waste, though. Aiming for lots of very small heaps instead.

Eden Drive Allotments

My broad beans are not doing as well as these.

Eden Drive Allotments

Loving this combo of raised beds and sawdust paths. There's a lot of sawdust in these allotments. I suspect somebody here may be a tree surgeon.

No comments:

Post a Comment