Wednesday 27 May 2020

solidarity with the pot-plant rescuers

It's not the most important thing, of course, in the scheme of things. But if you only take time for the most important things, you end up missing most of what's important, writing self help books, or worse, both. But in Paris, the pot plants abandoned during the hasty shut-down, are being rescued, recovered and rehabilitated.  It's a small thing, but a beautiful thing.

So is this. It's a Dragon Tree I found abandoned, water-rotted and radiator-withered in a bin on the way out of work many years ago. I nursed it back to health and it followed me, sometimes at a discreet distance, at other times like a huge green spiky shadow, through the office moves and periodic pot-plant bans every large office space suffers.

But I had to leave it behind when I left the office to go and work from  home, following the guidance, sticking to the rules. I realised I couldn't carry it and the other things I needed to work from home, did the calculation, realised an extra trip to retrieve a pot plant was not a necessary journey, and left it in the office. Mentally, I said goodbye.

Prematurely, I said goodbye:


I gave it a very, very good water before leaving the office in a hurry, but even so, it was abandoned for almost two months. It's not put on any growth and it has lost a leaf or two, but mostly this plant just pressed pause, as desert plants can.

Other plants in the office were not as fortunate. The Peace Plants, especially, every single one was wilted and gone. But my fierce dragon prevails.

No comments:

Post a Comment