Sunday 27 January 2019

at dawn in the garden

January, bleak and snow, has been flexing its claws this past week. Frost on the ground, snow in the air. But there's also been this:

january sunshine

The sun has just started to crack round the corner of the house, meaning that if I sit outside at the right time I get the sweep of sun coming into the garden. It's pretty good, even when it's on sad things like the dead remains of your frozen-to-death Tree Fern.

january sunshine january sunshine
january sunshine january sunshine

It's a little early to start on seedlings, so I've just loaded up the propagater with a bunch of no-hoper seeds, out of date chillies, smoked chillies, chillies from the Kashmiris I grew in the greenhouse last year, that kind of thing. It's dim, though. I was going to put the battery-powered fairy lights over them again, and then I discovered that a set of them had actually overheated and partially melted, so I'm back to wondering about proper grow lights again. This one looks good.

Although, this is supposed to be my year of spending as little as possible on the garden.... after all, it already looks like this, isn't that enough?

january sunshine


No comments:

Post a Comment