Saturday 25 August 2018

the allotment in the hottest summer

Not a lot happened this summer on the allotment. My time went on watering the back garden, increasingly desperate to minimise the droughtloss, which was of course destroying my apples (bitter pit) and tomatoes (blossom end rot) but also stressing the hell out of everything.

Well not everything of course - bindweed was fine. But so, curiously, was my Bush Clematis, now smothering the rest of the Jungle bed. The grape vine had a great year, but the Passion Flower had fewer flowers than usual; I only got a handful of gooseberries and raspberries, but the currants did well. The blueberries died; I couldn't water them enough.

Up at the allotment, the sun is insane. The soil is hard and powdery. Every bed I clear is teeming with ants. Then the car breaks and then I break, in the heat.

allotment progress allotment progress
allotment progress allotment progress

The weather cooled again finally but I still didn't make it up to the the allotment. Although I'm pleased about the Phacelia. Something for the bees.

I probably need to start the seed at home. Not enough is getting through the seedling stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment