Thursday 9 September 2021

no pips in my apples?

Seedless fruits happen through a biological process called parthenocarpy - development of fruit without fertilisation. 

How this happens:

  1. Sport (naturally occurring mutant) is spotted by humans and propagated through cuttings.
  2. Fruit farmers make lots of crossings trying to produce more fruit and less seed .
  3. Plants are kept away from pollinators and/or pollinator partners (if they need them).
  4. No or low-seed branches are grafted onto rootstock.
  5. Some other ways.
cracked apples

This post (abandoned at note stage) I barely remember. Nothing remains but the notes. I can't remember if I had an apple crop. Maybe it was the years all the apples disappeared, and we suspected our foxes?

I was very ill at the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment