Sunday 7 February 2021

air plants

Some xmas money finally got spent - on air plants. Craftyplants - a favourite since I found their stall in a marquee at a garden show, fondness consolidated when I saw them appear on Gardener's World - have delivered me some new plants to fill some new containment devices

This Tillandsdia Albida has a lovely silvery shimmer. Flower spikes are cream and red, which sounds amazing, but I'm unlikely to be provoking flowering for a bit. It's a fast grower, and I fancy waiting till it's a bit more chonky.

There's actually a variety of this Tillandsia Albertiana called "Mystic Trumpet" but that was out of stock! Never mind, I rather like this soft little mass of fronds, which was already enthusiastically dividing itself in two, having presumably decided to put on a growth spurt in transit.

Now for the fancy one - Tillandsia Tricholepis. It's a small variety, so unlike the other two, will remain delicate, although apparently it's madly promiscuous, pupping all around the place, which sounds fun.Yellow flower on this one, if it gets happy.

Of course then the heating promptly broke, the temperature plummeted, and it started snowing, but hopefully they'll get through that. Nice soak in water (I use water from my electric dehumidifier at this time of year, which is clean and soft) and then off to get settled in.

Happy 2021, air plant family!

No comments:

Post a Comment