Saturday 2 January 2021

the wet world of winter

Today the sun never shone. We went for a walk and it was fun; there were new year swimmers in the icy lake. Just a few, but some were in bikinis! The vigour of youth... Kids were breaking the ice so they could run their Christmas RC Boats, tow paths were closed but no roads were flooded. It was a walk we know well - we're sticking to regular routes for our health walks, just a few. This one would normally take us up the tow path, but it is flooded in the low parts. As it was, we walked past the allotments which I stared at with speculative eyes. I'm already thinking about my next allotment, even though it's too early for that sort of thing yet - I'm very much still recovering.

But, things which might be happening this year:

  • I have a geodesic dome kit in my shed: I'm waiting for the neighbour to finish on the willow tree, then back-garden shelter, of a somewhat festivalish variety, will arrive.
  • Reconfiguring the main bed: we have a big bindweed problem. Plus Alkanet, Enchanter's Nightshade, Red Valerian, etc. as if the garden is trying to collect the full perennial weedset. Which means I may have to dig. Or go up, using bricks to raise a bed (I have a lot of bricks as a result of a kitchen wall that went).
  • Turning the compost: my compost bin is full. There's a great ants nest in it, but it's not moving fast enough to keep up with winter waste. That means work must be done.
  • Vegetable planters: after last year's success with the cucumbers I want to try again - how much fruit and veg can I grow actually in my own garden.
  • Something ate my apples last year: who was the culprit? Post-Christmas, I am the happy owner of a rugged trail cam. This year, we investigate our wildlife.
That's enough. I don't honestly know how ill I'm going to be, or how long I'm likely to take recovering. The new medication mix is making me feel better but I don't know if I'll be able to stick with it. It's all rare enough that the data is just case studies.Some people are just fine after. Maybe I can get there. Consider it an overarching resolution.

desire lines photoshoot

No comments:

Post a Comment