Wednesday 29 January 2020

it's too early to start up the propagator

Repeat fifty times, "it's too early to start up the propagater".

Repeat fifty times, "you could plant sweet peas now, but they'll only go leggy".

Repeat fifty times, "you're not allowed to plant any marigolds until you've tidied up the shed".

Repeat fifty times, "Clean all the crap out of the greenhouse before you plant this year".

Repeat fifty times, "Now is not the time to be drunk shopping for this year's fuchsias".

But it's so difficult, especially when the whole world is doing this:

signs of spring doomed seedling garden

And while I know they're kind of doomed, I can't help but admire their chutzpah. The same goes for all the birds singing like maniacs, and allotment fox, whose tail is now looking bushy and lush. That slightly plushy, ready-to-rumble-and-tumble feistyness of the ducks on the river. The tiny flights and savage fights of tiny birds. Spring is coming.

Today's task up at the allotment was measuring up a space for the geodesic dome. Well, actually, I'm doing a small vertical stretch to make it a Hub-Pod instead of Hub-dome, but it should still have that proper permie vibe, albeit with a slight edge of glamping. So it was all staking out 3.2m lengths of string to see if I've left a big enough space. Looks like the bit under the nasty old landrover hood (or whatever that piece of irregularly-shaped 'proofed fabric my predecessor was using to unsuccessfully suppress weeds is) might just fit the bill perfectly, although it was past civic twilight (never mind actual twilight) by the time I got up there. I'm going to need to treat the sticks, so I can go for a coloured wood stain, which is a fun thought. Turquoise/sky blue is my home colour, but there's a certain attraction to sunflower yellow. Paint first then construct? Or construct then paint?

The couch grass is still monstrous, invasive and terrifying, but wherever I heap it, the heap is disappearing, so I might just be able to compress it to death - without having to take anything organic off the allotment, which is my challenge for this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment