Wednesday 7 August 2019

rescuing last year's wine

I spotted a disturbing crust in the necks of the wine bottles from last year's winemaking (which was - wow - November last year, really late) so thought they might be spoiled. But other half went onto the internet (everything we know about winemaking we've cobbled together from the internet) and discovered that while it might be spoilage, it might also be a yeast crust from bottle fermentation. Now bottle fermentation is a possibility, as I didn't stop the ferment last year, just observed that it had stopped. Under these circumstances it can continue, very slowly, and create a yeast crust, especially if your bottles are a bit cold (I had to rescue mine from a cold larder).

So, rescuing wine after a bottle ferment. Step 1, order your Campden Tablets - they only cost a few quid, and if the wine is drinkable, you'll need to add them to stop any further trouble.


Step 2, strain your wine through a muslin into a sterilised bowl (I like Pyrex for the job) and taste. I used a little ceramic sake cup for the tasting. Anything going into the bowl needs to be sterilised and rinsed. Your yeast plaques look like this:


Hooray!!!! It tasted like wine. If so, Step 3 into your brewer's bucket with it, which is also sterilised. Repeat for each bottle, making sure you taste for each bottle. Even if (as with mine) "it doesn't taste very alcoholic," be aware that each bottle you taste will diminish your accuracy and capability and you need to remember without fail to strain, taste, and only then add to the rest of the wine in the bucket. It wasn't a disaster for me, but if that had been a spoiled bottle it would have been....


Then, Step 4, crush and add your Campden Tablet. That'll stop any further microbial action. Wipe out and sterilise the bottles to take the wine back. (I use boiling water with sterilising powder - nothing fancy - but again, be aware that by this stage you too have an alcohol content.). Then it's time to Step 5, refill the bottles. Remember to sterilise your funnel and put your bottle in something to catch the inevitable spillage. I'm using a handy soup bowl.


Step 6, Top up and cork the bottles. I was sufficiently wavy by this stage that the little syringe (sterilised!) for topping off the bottles was a lifesaver. You've doubtless noticed that I've lost between a half and a quarter of a bottle by now. Above, I'm seeing if a three quarters bottle is the right size. It isn't - too much spilled/drunk and I had slightly underfilled the bottles in the first place, which might have encouraged the yeast plaques.


A half bottle of malt in the cupboard contained but a sip of whisky, so I pressed it into service for the half bottle. I didn't sterilise (or rinse, now I come to think of it) the bottle, but that shouldn't cause any problems, and may actually improve the flavour, so proceed directly to Step 7, label the bottles.

And there we have it, Casita Freelands 2018 "Wandering Woodlouse," all ready to drink. And having drunk half a bottle myself, I have no shame in foisting it upon friends. I'd pair it with chocolate and coconut biscuits, cheese straws and wotsits, as it's not a subtle beast; honey, raspberry and redcurrant brawling on the nose, with an undertow of hedgerow herbs, gentle rain and autumn leaf. 

No comments:

Post a Comment