Sunday 3 February 2019

a frill of ferns

Against the white of the winter afternoon, as I was hurrying away to my allotment before nightfall, I saw a frill of feathery greens against the sky, growing out of the top of the NHS building (Raglan House) on Between Towns Road. This building and I have a chequered history, as I used to obtain my much-loathed contraceptive solutions from here, referred on after having been judged too complex by my GP. The Sexwise clinic has long since rebranded and moved on, and I'm not sure what happens here now. Mental Health, maybe?

Roof fern garden Roof fern garden
Roof fern garden Roof fern garden

The fringe of ferns is doing well. I'd love to have ferns like that in my back garden. There's a busy A road merge and mini roundabout below, and particulates and hot air sweep up from the heavy traffic, nibbling the mortar and inserting grime into the frontage. The scarp also peaks here, meaning it's a dumping point for gentle rain. That flat roof would probably do very well as a green roof.

No comments:

Post a Comment