Wednesday 7 November 2018

greengages and the orchid pot problem

As winter approaches, and the bare root season approaches, my mind naturally turns to trees. Specifically, a greengage. I'm quite fond of plums (ooer missus)  and my favourite in all the family is the understated, honeyed delight of the humble greengage. I don't really have space in my garden for a greengage (particularly as they really do do better with a pollination partner so you're planting two trees not one), which is why I got an allotment. But it is possible that I don't have space for an allotment in my life, and also, having your greengages a ten minute walk away sounds like an engraved invitation to the blackbirds of East Oxford to tidy up your crop for you. And if they make me give up the allotment for being too neglectful, then what? I lose my gage.

But, potentially, I could plant a stepover. There's also a gage/plum cross called Opal that would make a beautiful pollination partner. Would I, could I, should I try to do this in my back garden? Or should I opt for a pair of cheaper dwarfing trees, pop them up on the allotment and take the risk?



In other news, my bathroom orchids Manager's Special and Seasonal Clearance have outgrown their already fairly large pots. It's possible that they have actually outgrown the (quite small) windowsill, but a clear square tower pot would certainly help them fit better than the round pots they're in currently. Weirdly, though, this seems like a bit of an ask. Briefly I thought I'd found something useful on Amazon, but then it turned out to be ineligible for click and collect (what is that about) and it was expensive enough to give me pause, and it's now lost in my discarded browsing history, good luck finding that again (although at £8.99 per pot, I feel I can do better). Sorry orchids, hang in there. I'm sure the right pot will pop out of google, er, any time now.

I don't want to move them out of the bathroom. When they're both in flower, it's fireworks:

bathroom orchid 1

1 comment: