Wednesday 17 January 2018

the ivied terrace house

There's a poem I half-remember from my childhood, where we had to learn a poem a day. If you learned the poem successfully by lunch time, you won a house point, or was it three house points?

It was quite an unfair game, as only a few people would ever get the opportunity to try and recite it. Sometimes you would be allowed to write it, but that was hardly fair on the non-writers in the room. Also memorising to say and memorising to write were quite different things. Should you do one? Should you do neither, like a lot of my friends did?

It's left me with random shards of obscure poetry rammed every which way into my brain.

the overgrown house

Consider this:

Beneath the richness of an autumn soaked sky
The pigeons idly flutter about the ivied grange
Years of dust and chaff hang in the dim within
Where [something] horse's breath once steamed

I can't find the poem, but there is far more poetry written than even google can contain. Screeds and scrolls of sentimental Victorian verse for children.

the overgrown house the overgrown house

When I see a house like this one it's impossible not to think of such things. Somebody lives here; observe the recycling box, the bolted Cordyline. And yet the ivy, sprinting to cover the windows.

the overgrown house

A garden half-way to a fairy tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment