Saturday 6 September 2014

Tomatoes too tasty to photograph

As per the Gardener's World jobs of the week, I was reducing my tomato foliage and discarding pests (not too bad on the loopers this year, but a plethora of soft, small slugs). I planted fancy varieties this year and it was a good moment to look at how they had fared.

  • The Krims had done well, of course. A few fruits had doughnutted, creating some very decently sized fruit indeed. Reliable and delicious flavours with a big pop of umami.
  • The Chocolate Cherries managed 3-4 germinations out of twenty, then 3-4 fruits total. What we got tasted amazing. Could have been unlucky or inconsistent care.
  • Silver Fir Apples have pretty, delicate foliage and are tiny. I couldn't water them enough, and they were too thin to support their enthusiastically sized fruit. A bit of a special effect! 
  • Green Zebras are REALLY TALL. Very vigorous, outcompeting and overshading everything else. 100% germination, the overachievers. The fruits taste sweet and zingy. 
  • Cherokee Purple taste good, but not as good as the Krims, probably because the Krims can put up with cooler weather and worse treatment! But very tasty, would grow again.
  • Garden Peach I only discovered when I dug them out from behind the zebras. Prolific fruiter, high pest resistance (not a single fruit had been pested) and the flavour and texture are curious but delicious. More flesh, less seed, sweet with a hint of apricot.   

It's also the moment you find the rotted, the chomped and the holed fruits. One that's been hollowed into a slug cavern, one that's picked up the mould from a dead stem. Alas, poor tomatoes. My care has been (as ever) inconsistent. But it's been interesting.

The last fruits are now ripening on the stems. I've underfruited, overpested and had various bothers and rots, so next year I need fewer plants, less congestion, and more reliable water.

Too bad I've already bought five packets from heritage tomato pusher Pennards. Especially as that number doesn't Krim or the Peach (and I can hardly not grow either of them after they did so well).

No comments:

Post a Comment