Sunday 28 January 2018

I want a second home

I may have mentioned before how much I value my pot plant at work. Originally rescued from a bin in the foyer of our last office building, I have nursed it from a pitiful, desiccated stem with a tiny  pompom of leaves (it's nothing special - just your standard Dracena Marginata, aka the Dragon Tree) into a vast glossy beast with a prounounced wiggle from all the times it's been turned to find the sun in the ambient gloomery that is our office.

Periodically we're banned from keeping plants, and it comes home for a bit. Then people start to bring in plants, and it comes back in again. Technically we have a clear desk policy, but then technically the plant isn't on a desk. Technically I'd like more plants, to be honest, especially since the mature trees outside our windows all came down.

More specifically? I'd like my office to look like this:


Now that's what an office should look like. They call them Second Homes, exotic hubs full of curated selections of innovative businesses, making all the magazines with their crazy scenes. 

Everything filters through to the public sector in the end, of course. We'll probably get Second Home type offices just as the gang doing this lot right now are obviating the need to have an office at all through uploading their consciousness and outsourcing their bodies.

In the meantime though, maybe I could manage just one more plant.....

No comments:

Post a Comment