Saturday 7 July 2018

in praise of cow parsley

Fluffy, frothy, fresh.

Cow parsley, sunlight

You can tell I took these photos back before it stopped raining.

Cow parsley, sunlight

Cow parsley was the constant companion of my childhood village summers.

cow parsley

Let it into your garden and it will take over, like jack-in-the-hedge or Alkanets, if it likes the space.

cow parsley

I can't quite bring myself to take home the happy basic bitch variety though (I've tried with some pretty green-flowered varieties - no dice, not as vigorous).

Cow parsley, sunlight

We had a rhyme that went with it, when I was a kid; you pick a stem and then crush the florets together into a barbie-sized bouquet, and say "Here's a bunch of flowers" then you strip the florets and toss them over the head of your giggling little sister, saying "And here's the April showers."

Cow parsley, sunlight

Oh, look at that, mixing it up with cherry laurel and Alkanets. Maybe I should bring it home. It certainly looks at home here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment