Thursday 14 June 2018

first fruits from the allotment

Mostly, it all got eaten by slugs. But here and there, a hardy survivor. I ate this -- despite being rather underwatered and undersized, it was a proper peppery radish mouthful.


Implausibly, the strawberries had also made fruit - despite there being no earth to earth them, no watering visits and no straw to keep them cosy.  Alas, my dreams of these being less bothered by slugs were just that; dreams. The most-promising looking strawb was hollow when I turned it over. This one wasn't though; I had a small handful of strawberries.


The broad beans were short, but setting pods already (and collecting the usual little halos of blackfly). I have about seven parsnip plants. The potatoes are putting on growth, although the fact that one's flowering already is a bit of a cross-sign.

Clearing a bed for beans I found more potatoes, leftovers from last year, strangled among the couch grass. I freed them out but there was a weird amount of red ant activity, including some in some large, leftover potatoes. Gardeners world is very firm on this: ants do not eat potatoes. But there are hints elsewhere that this can happen.

I gave everything a good water and left it to it. I'll see if I can wiggle up some little potatoes next time I'm up there, and maybe I'll lift that onion, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment