Wednesday 7 March 2018

toxic sweeties in the garden

New Scientist chimed in this week busting some gardening myths or something but while most were the same old (Why not use old tights in your flower pots instead of crocks? Er, no. Did you know you can get away without pinching out side shoots on some tomatoes? Why, yes.) same old, one small snippet was instantly intriguing, and not a little worrying.

"Rhododendron nectar is so toxic for bees that beekeepers tend to keep hives closed during their flower season."

Is it? Do they? Haven't I seen bees taking my rhododendron pollen?

Sure I have, but only Bumblebees, according to bee sources. Though there certainly are some honey bees that pollinate some rhododendrons, to make special buzzy honey that numbs your mouth and fuzzes your head (I think it's a bit of stretch to call it hallucinogenic, as this article does), our humble honey bee probably won't, though I'll check this year to see if I'm spiking any local hives.

More intriguing still is the effect described on solitary bees. If they're feeding on my Rhodey, I should see them passed out in the garden, and then recovering. Although it's possible our local Lime Trees may be the culprit, with their caffeinated nectaries.

Bees on drugs. What is this area coming to?

No comments:

Post a Comment