Sunday 18 February 2018

pooped of poopington

It was quite a nice springy sort of weekend, so I may have overdone it a bit. This weekend featured:

  • Consultation with a Tree Surgeon he reckons they can sort the overhang with pole loppers and ladders, so great.
  • Moving the hedgehog house careful investigation revealed a) no hedgehog and b) a small animal run along the back fence. Yay! Hodge made it through the winter. So I moved the hedgehog box back a bit, into a more sheltered position.
  • Raspberry cane, Grape Vine and Passion Vine reductions this is going to be a bit ongoing as it's too much to do all at once
  • Clippings to the tip as part of grand tip run involving much cardboard and a dead rolly futon. 
  • Starting the propagator mostly chilli plants (Trinidad Perfume, Vampire, Kashmiri, Hungarian Wax and a couple of others whose names escape me) but a bit of Beefsteak tomato. Shockingly I have no Krim seed! I seem to have Russian purple sweethearts, oxhearts and cherries instead. That doubtless seemed like a great idea at the time, but it's too early to plant any of those so I'll see if I can pick some up some Krim tomorrow. 
  • Starting the growhouse  The IKEA Growhouse is lovely but the lack of bottom heats makes it a risky proposition, so I always load this up with no-hoper or overcollected seed. Basil, chilli, parsley this time. We'll see if it does anything but go mouldy!
  • Clearing the shed This happened organically when I discovered I'd mislaid the greenhouse tops of two of my Garland Seven seed trays. One cleared shed later, they turned up nestling between the toolbox and a solid bag of patch plaster. I also found weedkiller, slug pellets and pesticide (when and why would I have bought that?) all of which I'll need to get rid of, somehow...
  • Sorting the plant pots I store them in a broken old tallboy that has lost most of its drawer fronts, but winter and lassitude had lefts them scattered every which way across the shed. All size-graded and back in their drawers!
  • Putting down the first seed trays I didn't do too well on trying to grow interesting Aquilegia last year, so I'm trying again, and this time starting early. We've got Yellow Queen and Crimson Star (who sound like a pair of Superheroines of a certain age!). I also found an old pot of harvested sweet pea seeds  of uncertain vintage in a shed drawer, so planted them, too, four to a cell. Knowing my luck, I'll get a germination rate of none, none, none, ALL, none, none etc.
  • Composting the grape harvest I had sort of half-forgotten the grapes, harvested hopelessly late and left in a trug. Anyway, they're in the compost now, ugh.
  • Feeding the ericacious plants I didn't make any plant-related resolutions this year, but if I had, feeding everything would have been on the list. It's the one thing I get reliably scolded about when I go to the garden shows and it's important for pots and an easy fix. So this year, plants, you're gonna get fed.
Now? Knackered.  

No comments:

Post a Comment