Friday 8 August 2014

Object of desire: Tulipa Acuminata

I've never seen it in flower. It's probably not in any sense practical. But I can't stop thinking about Tulipa Acuminata, a Turkish species tulip with long petals like tiny flames. It reminds me of this one time I bleached my hair over compound henna. I ended up with a graduated tint from blond at the roots to scarlet at the tips. Just like this flower. You'll have to take my word for it, as it was during a year I wasn't running a camera.

So I did what I always do under these circumstances, and put it on my Garden: ideas board, which acts as a sort of rag-bag of bits and bobs:

Follow Jeremy's board Garden: ideas on Pinterest.

Plants that have caught my idea, planting techniques, the endless Pinterest weekend projects, things that remind me of my garden, things I'd like to see in my garden, things which have the feel of the future, or the present, or the past of my garden. Some have come true already, some are on the to-do list, some will only ever always be in the maybes.

Not quite sure where Tulipa Acuminata sits yet. But look at it! What a flower. It's said that Turkish sultans had it bred it to look that way, because of their desire for tulips that looked like fire. An ancient ornamental so old it is species now. Is there sun enough for it here? I may never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment